Pages

Monday, December 19, 2011

my need for surgical instruments in cake decorating

Buttercream wedding cake


The cake inside is chocolate and vanilla. Lets just say buttercream and chocolate cake are not the best of friends. Theres always frosting,smoothing,frosting,smoothing and refrosting when theres chocolate cake involved. We don't mind, but its near impossible to not get a crumb in the final coat. And it makes my OCD or in other words, my need for impossibly high expectations, not to be an issue.The cake turned out beautiful! It has buttercream stencils, satin ribbon and silvers dragees. It was all accented with pearls to hold the ribbons. I love that because it reminds me of lacing up pearl buttons on a corsett.

All through the making of this cake I was thinking of different tools to use to make things easier and more precise. There I go again, wanting perfectly perfect lines on everything. I really wanted a pair of a certain type of tweezer used in surgical procedures to put all the pearls on though. I know, I'm a weirdo.....and a cautery knife to smooth the buttercream and get a crazy crisp line on all the edges.
But it was crisp, clean and fancy! I love this cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment